Engle was founded in 1879 as a station on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. It became a thriving cattle town and shipping point for ore from nearby mines. Construction of Elephant Butte Dam from 1911 to 1916 filled the town with people, but the population declined after the dam was completed.
Though few people remain, the town is the headquarters of the historic Armendaris Ranch, and New Mexico’s renowned Gruet Winery grows some of its grapes in the region.
Engle is located 17 miles E of Truth or Consequences on NM 51 – tourists on the Spaceport America Tour bus will pass by Engle on their way out to the facility.