Winston New Mexico (first called Fairview) was settled in 1881 by miners who found nearby Chloride “too rowdy.” It had a school, bars, a newspaper, horse races, and featured plays and songfests at Cloudman Hall (named for the local butcher).
Miner, businessman, and future state legislator Frank H. Winston, who came to town in 1882, owned several businesses (including the Frank Winston Carriage House) and generously gave credit to customers in hard times. When he died in 1929, the town was renamed in his honor.
While Winston flourished until the silver panic of 1893, today only a few families remain.
Winston’s home and the Carriage House (pictured above) still stand, along with the 1890 schoolhouse, the old post office, and other historic buildings. The town, home to the Winston Store, the Diamond Bar, and the Black Range Camp, hosts the WCCD (for Winston, Chloride, Dusty and Chiz) Fiesta each June (see our annual events section or SierraCountyEvents.com for more info).
The Winston General Store is open 7 days per week and sells fuel, basic groceries, plus hot coffee, to-go barbecue sandwiches, and showers.
(38 miles NW of T or C on NM 52; driving directions)