Black Range Museum
In 2016 the Black Range Museum was purchased by the Hillsboro Historical Society. Repair and restoration followed, and the museum officially reopened to visitors in late 2016.
The history of the building is not crystal clear. It was built before 1893. It was operated for a number of years as the Ocean Grove Hotel, doubling as the location of Tom Ying’s restaurant.
Sadie Orchard, the original owner of the Ocean Grove, was a strong woman with a simple name. A stagecoach driver, philanthropist, and — most famously — a madame, she has been the subject of books, TV dramas, and (especially) her own tall tales. Orchard hired “The Chinaman” Tom Ying to run the restaurant after 1896. His Victorian house is adjacent to the Museum.
The museum houses many items that belonged to Orchard and Ying, in addition to other artifacts documenting the history of the Hillsboro area.
Photos below courtesy of blogger Elise Curtin for the Geronimo Trail National Scenic Byway: