There’s a bit of a debate regarding the correct name of this town. In his book “The Place Names of New Mexico,” Robert Julyan states that the town’s inhabitants call it “Las Placitas.” Other publications say the name is “Placitas.”
But the signage in Sierra County uses “Placita” (as does Mr. Julyan) – so – we’re sticking with that.
Placita was reportedly founded by the Sedillo family in the 1840s. San Lorenzo Catholic Church (built in 1916), the schoolhouse, a dance hall, and some old homes still stand.
(3 miles south of Monticello on NM 142; driving directions)