Elephant Butte Chile Cookoff
2021 dates tbd
Cost: $2 per chili sample
Tie on an apron and get into the competition with your best red or green! This event has been tentatively moved to an October time slot, with firm dates not yet set.
2019 Chile Challenge Cook-off Schedule of Events
8am – Cooking Begins
2pm – Dessert Judging
3pm – Chile Judging
5pm – Dessert Winners Announced
6pm – Chile Winners Announced
Enter in any or all of these categories: Red, Green, Dessert
Fees to Enter
$40 to enter in either the red chile or green category, or $50 to enter both red and green chile. Enter the Dessert Category for $25. Professionals may also enter any category for $50 per entry.
Chile Cook-off Rules
- Entrants must provide a minimum of 5 gallons of chile to enter or 250 individual servings of dessert
- Chile must be made from scratch, in the open, and on-site at the cookoff
- Professional entrants may bring entries in for judging if they have been prepared at a licensed facility
- No marinating
- No complete commercial chili spice mixes allowed.
- You may be asked to taste your chili at turn-in for judging.
- Prepare a minimum of 5 gallons of chili or 250 servings of dessert.
- Finished products will be transferred to the serving area; serving in the cooking area is not allowed
- Dry camping is allowed onsite beginning on Friday evening
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 winners in the red and green categories, to the first place winner in the dessert competition, and to the first-place in the professional categories (red, green, dessert).
A people’s choice award will also be given out in each category.
Attendees may purchase a tasting cup ($2 to taste as much chili as desired) and cast their votes.